When thinking of yummy fruit danishes nothing compares to the recipe from Denmark!!
As a mid-week treat to get over the Wednesday drag why not bake some pastry perfection.
Easy Danish pastries:
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 egg, beaten
½ cup apricot jam, warmed
4 sheets frozen puff pastry, quartered into squares
415g can apricot halves, drained
415g can pitted cherries, drained
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, half sugar and vanilla. Stir over medium heat until boiling point is reached (do not boil). In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk egg-yolks, remaining sugar and cornflour together.
- Pour hot milk into egg mixture in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Return mixture to a clean saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, 5-6 minutes, until mixture boils and becomes thick (dropping consistency). Remove from heat. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and cool.
- DANISH: Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C . Lightly grease and line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Spread 1 tablespoon of custard diagonally across each pastry square. Place two apricot halves or cherries on custard. Join opposite corners, overlapping in centre.
- Arrange on trays and brush with egg. Bake 12-15 minutes, until crisp and golden. Brush with jam while hot.
- Cornflour stabilises the custard so it won’t split over high heat.
- Try a windmill shape – Cut 4cm slits through each corner of pastry square. Join alternate points in centre, pressing to seal.
Innovation Living import amazing Danish inspired designs for your home including accessories, lamps, cushions, furniture, bean bags and modern sofa beds.
Showrooms in Brisbane & Melbourne!